Sunday, June 17, 2012

Madrid

Since Thursday was another holiday and we didn't have school, we had a four day weekend. We decided to use our time wisely and go to Madrid. We left Wednesday night  and took a high speed train (even though it costed more) so it only took two and a half hours. Madrid reminds me of a European version of New York City. There are a lot of tourists, shopping, busy streets, and tall buildings. Don't get me wrong, I love New York City, but it's not what I think of when I picture Spain. I definitely liked it the least out of all the cities I have visited. I was starting to miss the quaint little walking community of Sevilla. Most of our trips are jam packed with activities so we are constantly running around and end up being exhausted at the end of the day so we decided to spread out our activities and try to relax. On Thursday we went to el Museo del Prado and it was really amazing. All of the paintings were so incredibly detailed I could barely wrap my head around how someone could do that without simply taking a picture. And some of the paintings were enormous! It must have taken forever. I officially have a newfound respect for anyone who paints. 

On Friday we went to the Royal Palace! I really, really wish I could have taken pictures inside because it was gorgeous. I seriously wanted to be a princess. There were chandeliers in every room and amazing artwork on the ceiling. There were moldings and sculptures everywhere and they walls were lined with perfectly designed patterns. I couldn't imagine actually living in a place where people tour through your house. Crazy! 

Overall it was a nice relaxing weekend and we got to do some shopping, explore the nightlife, and even get some McDonald's to remind us of home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment