Friday, May 25, 2012

You know I don't speak Spanish

You know how some people hate flying? Turns out, I hate airports. So dealing with four within 24 hours wasn't exactly my cup of tea. After some misleading information from my parents, thinking my baggage was lost, wandering back and forth because I couldn't find my gate, and a flight being delayed because of a storm, I made it here in one piece and somehow haven't been affected by jet lag. I'm sure that will sink in soon but I'm pretty accustomed to functioning on little to no sleep.

On another note, I realized I don't know Spanish. I mean, I know some Spanish but apparently only if I'm in a classroom setting where the teacher knows we aren't fluent so they talk slowly and only use words we've learned. Here, I feel like all I can muster is "Hi, my name is Lindsay and I'm from Pennsylvania" and any subsequent conversation is out of the question. I'm fairly certain this is the equivalent of any Spaniard with a reading level higher than that of an infant. Needless to say, it is clear to everyone I meet that I am American and don't know what I'm doing. But it's only the first day so I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I think my biggest problem is how fast everyone talks. After someone finishes an explanation I look at them with a blank stare as I try to piece together what they just said. If I had more time to think, I could figure it out, so I'm sure I'll improve with practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment